Saturday, February 27, 2010

HMOTW (Haute Mama of the Week): Evelyn Lemar!

Her name is Evelyn Lemar and along with being an author and a mother this North Carolina native owns her own publishing company called Drama Queen Productions! Love it!!

What do you do for a living?

I work for the VA Medical Center in claims

What is your passion and how do you incorporate it in your life to achieve happiness?

It has always been my passion to tell a great story, even before I decided to be a writer. I try new things and allow myself to go through certain things for the sake of being able to potentially tell a good story. And being a person that's always open for new experiences, there's never a dull moment in my life. And keeping things interesting is definitely a good way to be happy.

How do you balance work and motherhood?

My motto has always been "If you got kids, you gotta play with them." I'm a single parent, so I've had a lot of practice. My daughter's sixteen now, so I'm more of a chafeur and an ATM machine than a mom these days. But I always make time for her extra curricular activities (she plays violin) and we're really close so we have a lot of fun together. It's important to make time for to hang out with your kids and we have special things that we do together. For example, Friday nights used to be Power Puff Girls and pizza night and now that's she's older, it's Cold Case. We also make midnight Krispy Kreme runs while listening to old school hip hop on the radio. We spend lots of time together and we enjoy each other's company.

What has been your biggest challenge as a working mother and how did you manage to overcome it?

I was unmarried and had just turned 21 when my daughter was born. Finances, and not to mention the fact that I was young and not done living was definitely a challenge. My parents were a great help and over the years, and I just continued to work hard and learn as much as I could in order to move on to better jobs. It was as if my daughter and I grew up together. But with prayer and hard work, we've overcome many obstacles.

What advice would you give other mothers on how to maintain or discover their hauteness and remain successful in their careers and fulfill their roles as a mom?

Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you shouldn't have a life. Spend time nurturing yourself, as well as your kids. Have fun, get a hobby, hang out sometimes with other adults. Because one day your kids will gone and you'll find yourself lonely and unhappy and smothering your kids and making them miserable, too.

What makes you a haute mama?

The fact that I'm so versatile. Not only am I a mom, but I'm a sassy woman that full of life and always looking forward to the next adventure.

For more on this haute author, mother, and entrepreneur check her out HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment